Chester Grain Sorghum
Chester is a new medium maturity grain sorghum with excellent hybrid vigour under cool soil conditions.
- High yield potential
- Bright red grain colour
- Medium maturity
- Good disease resistance
- Good lodging resistance
- Medium tillering habit
- Midge rated 5
- Good stress tolerance across environments
Chester is a new medium maturity Hybrid Grain Sorghum with excellent hybrid vigour under cool soil conditions. It has a wide adaptation across environments and systems and is suited to full – partial irrigation and good dryland farming situations. Chester is an ideal companion plant variety to existing commercial varieties.
Average Days to Flower
- Liverpool Plains, Northern NSW and Southern QLD: Spring Planting 72-74 days; Summer Planting 65 – 69 days;
- Central QLD: Planting 60 – 65 days
Agronomy, disease resistance and tolerance
Good disease resistance with a midge rating of 5
Suggested sowing rates
- Dryland marginal: 30-50,000 Plant population
- Dryland good: 50-75,000 Plant population
- Irrigation: 90-140,000 Plant population
Chester seed is available through your local Elders store.
Talk to your local agronomist for more information and advice